Light, camera, action! Or as Halfdan Hussey wrote in an email today, “Turn on the Spotlights.” Cinequest film festival, the pride and joy of San Jose, opens tomorrow night. You may also want to use another favorite Hollywood expression: roll out the red carpet. Or perhaps a not-so-Hollywood: bring on the Mavericks!
With the excitement now at a fever pitch, we wanted to bring you a special launch edition of the Question of the Day series with Cinequest co-founder Halfdan Hussey. We go extra innings in this episode! Watch as Loni and Halfdan discuss innovation, the definition of Maverick, and what to expect at the festival.
Fans of 3D will be excited to know that the artist and innovators forums have sessions that will cover the topic, and its potential for independent film. As Halfdan asks, “Will these 3D technologies give low budget as well as medium budget filmmakers opportunity?”
And what about the festival itself, “If it’s ain’t broke, we don’t fix it.” Instead they turn up the electrification-factor… with more of everything this year, including soirees every night, and a record number of world and North American premieres.
In case you missed the four previous episodes, now’s the perfect time to catch up so you can hit the ground running tomorrow night at the California Theatre in downtown San Jose.
CINEQUEST Question of the Day with co-founder Halfdan Hussey:
- #1 – Gun shots, birth of a festival
- #2 – Being unique, managing growth
- #3 – Film submission, screening process
- #4 – Distribution, Mavericks Studio
Also, Clint reminds me to invite you to read-up on some of the screeners we received. Get a head start and check out the early word!
- ‘Little Fish, Strange Pond’ with Mathew Modine
- ‘Paulista (Quanto Dura o Amor?)’
- ‘Passenger Side’
- ‘The Tijuana Project’
- ‘Raspberry Magic’
- ‘Cooking History’ the ultimate Food Network and The History Channel mash-up
- ‘FrICTION’ a clever “fourth wall” film
- ‘The Bone Man’ an Austrian Fargo with German cars and a twist
- ‘Kill the Habit’
- ‘Life in One Day (Het leven uit een dag)’
- ‘Applause (Applaus)’
- ‘Peepers’ a bare butt buffet of laughs
Future filmmakers alert! Want to see what the next generation of filmmakers look like? Check out our coverage of Adobe Youth Voices. The program in partnership with Cinequest Film Camp brings together 31 aspiring filmmakers 13-18 years old who work together over four weeks on a film project.
- Adobe Youth Voices Cinequest Film Camp Week 1: Pre-production, a Zombie movie?!
- Adobe Youth Voices Cinequest film camp kicks off with bursts of creativity
And… one last bonus: check out the Cinequest Media Lunch party including presentations and chit-chats on location!
Tuesday, February 23 (OPENING NIGHT)
- 6:00-7:00pm RED CARPET, California Theatre (345 South First Street, San Jose)
- 7:00pm U.S. Premiere of The Good Heart, starring Brian Cox (Troy, The Bourne Identity) and Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine)
Tuesday, March 2
- Life of a Maverick event with Deepak Chopra, California Theatre
Thursday, March 4
- Maverick Spirit Event with Benjamin Bratt followed by screening of his film La Mission, California Theatre
Sunday, March 7 (CLOSING NIGHT)
- Screening of Mother (Madeo), California Theatre
More from Cinequest
- Every night of the festival features a VIP All-Access Soiree at different locations around downtown San Jose. From 5 – 7 PM, get inside an all-inclusive affair with VIPs, industry pioneers and artists.
- New Interactive Scheduler: Cinequest’s pioneering online Interactive Scheduler is designed to help you organize all the films and events you want to attend at Festival 20. Customize your festival schedule online at www.cinequest.org
- Maverick Meet-ups – From 9PM until the last person leaving, stop by and enjoy an informal atmosphere after an astounding day of films. All are welcome, no ticket or pass necessary!
- 3D Showcase – For the first time, Cinequest and the Academy team up to present 3D films and a 3D Cinema forum. In an exclusive sneak preview of The Road Back to Woodstock , celebrate 40 years of Peace and Love at Bethel Woods and witness the music and the mood like you have never seen before.
- Encore Day – For years Cinequest fans have requested an opportunity to see the award-winning movies. Now you can! Join us for one more day and night of festivities, including Cinequest 20 Encore Screenings and the Maverick Academy Awards Party.
For a full program of film screenings and information on specific events, go to www.cinequest.org
Morocco’s Restaurant is a proud sponsor of Cinequest Film Festival 20. Located 3 blocks away on Market Street, Morocco’s has been a wonderful sponsor for 3 years. Visit their website at www.moroccosrestaurant.com