In the 1980s, I used to build, sell and then service IBM PS/2s and “compatibles” in a small Ottawa computer store called Mr. Diskette.
Once upon a time, my Dad and I started a newsletter ‘Foghorn’ using Apple ][ Gutenberg software, and cut & paste — the real scissors and paper kind — for teachers and the educational market.
In 1994, I launched my first blog humbly called Clintworld which chronicled high tech, travel and gadgets. WordPress didn’t exist so I manually entered the dates for each journal entry. Looking back now I know what living in a bubble looks like.
In 2007, I started writing about the Baja homebuilding experience: mañana, builder bankruptcies, and learning and appreciating Mexican culture. It began to grow fans and critics alike, many from the San Francisco Bay Area. Soon, the site featured wineries, articles about the arts, and, increasingly, videos. Before long “Stark Insider” was born.
Clinton Stark Trivia:
- Sean Connery — aka the James Bond — worked for my grandfather (Ron Stark), shining coffins in Scotland (true story!)
- In the 1980’s I played keyboards (Korg M1, Roland D-50 and Dr. T. MIDI software for the Atari ST) for the band ‘Hit & Run’ which gained a college following and Canadian radio airplay featuring several live concerts at the Barrymore’s club in Ottawa. I still have a dusty demo cassette somewhere in the closet, but have hopefully destroyed all those 80s hair photos (and leather pants).
- My first car was a brown AMC Gremlin with a three-speed (and occasional fire) on the floor.
- Huge fan of gadgets and self-confessed early adopter. Some of my favorites: Sonos for whole home audio, Netflix streaming (cut the cord!), KODI open source software for serving up movies on the big screen, Cellartracker – vineyard and the cloud, Google Drive, INSTEON & Philips Hue for automated home lighting control, the Canon C100 cinema camera, and compact 4K Panasonic GH5 mirrorless and my (now defunct) Pebble smartwatch which has made me a better man.
- I’m a member of the American Theater Critics Association (ATCA).
- In 2000 and 2002, I played in the San Jose Sharks teal and white charity hockey games at the HP Pavilion with former NHL players Pat Falloon, Doug Wilson, Doug Pederson, Jamie Baker and Marty McSorley. My Al Bundy moment was winning the shoot-out competition.
- Shot a video with HOW WE FIRST MET creator Jill Bourque to chronicle my dating experience with Loni Stark: How We First Met: Clinton and Loni Stark’s Untold Story.
For those interested, here’s all the cameras, lenses, audio equipment, and stuff I use to shoot Stark Insider videos: