It all started thanks to some Baja sand and a Sea of Cortez dream, but… before then:
In the 1980s, I used to build, sell and then service IBM PS/2s and “compatibles” in a small Ottawa store called Mr. Diskette.
As a hobby, my Dad and I started a newsletter ‘Foghorn’ using Apple ][ Gutenberg software, and cut & paste — the real scissors and paper kind — for teachers and the educational market.
In 1994, I launched my first blog humbly called ‘Clintworld‘ which chronicled high tech, travel and gadgets. WordPress didn’t exist so I manually entered the dates for each journal entry. Looking back now I know what living in a bubble looks like.
In 2007, I started writing about the Baja homebuilding experience: mañana, builder bankruptcies and learning Mexican culture. It began to grow fans and critics alike, many from the San Francisco area. Soon, the site featured wineries, articles about the arts, and, increasingly, videos. Before long “Stark Insider” was born.
- Sean Connery — aka the James Bond — worked for my grandfather (Ron Stark), shining coffins in Scotland (true story!)
- In the 1980’s I played keyboards (Korg M1, Roland D-50 and Dr. K. software!) for the band ‘Hit & Run’ which gained a college following and Canadian radio airplay featuring several live concerts at the Barrymore’s club in Ottawa. I still have a dusty demo cassette somewhere in the closet, but have hopefully destroyed all those 80s hair photos (and leather pants).
- My first car was a brown AMC Gremlin with a three-speed (and occasional fire) on the floor.
- Huge fan of gadgets and self-confessed early adopter. Some of my favorites: Sonos for whole home audio, Netflix streaming (cut the cord!), XBMC open source software for serving up movies on the big screen, Cellartracker – vineyard and the cloud, Google Drive, INSTEON for automated home lighting control, the Canon C100 cinema camera, and my Pebble smartwatch which has made me a better man.
- I’m a member of the American Theater Critics Association (ATCA), the only national association of professional theatre critics.
- In 2000 and 2002, I played in the San Jose Sharks teal and white charity hockey games at the HP Pavilion with former NHL players Pat Falloon, Doug Wilson, Doug Pederson, Jamie Baker and Marty McSorley. My Al Bundy moment was winning the shoot-out competition.
- Shot a video with HOW WE FIRST MET creator Jill Bourque to chronicle my dating experience with Loni Stark: How We First Met: Clint and Loni Stark’s Untold Story.
For those interested, here’s all the cameras, lenses, audio equipment, and stuff I use to shoot Stark Insider videos: