Stark Insider goes backstage at ‘Luzia’ by Cirque du Soleil. Learn more about secrets of the show, and see what it takes to become — or attempt to become — a Cirque performer.
Cirque du Soleil’s new touring production Luzia is all about light and rain. And, as you might expect, it’s also about celebrating the artistic and physical capabilities of the human form.
Now playing Chicago (before heading to Atlanta, Los Angeles and Costa Mesa), Luzia, referred to as a “waking dream of Mexico,” features many of the standout acrobatics you’ve likely come to expect from Cirque, including the Chinese Pole, hoop diving, juggling, adagio, trapeze and several whimsical musical ensembles.
Cirque du Soleil Luzia – A Waking Dream of Mexico
- Stark Insider BTS: LUZIA by Cirque du Soleil – A Waking Dream of Mexico (Video)
- First Look: ‘Luzia’ a waking dream in Mexico (Video)
- Cirque du Soleil LUZIA opening night (Video)
But one thing that really stands out in this latest production: that massive rain curtain.
There, underneath that deluge of rain, could a demigod emerge?
Take a look inside Luzia as Loni Stark of Stark Insider goes behind-the-scenes at the White Big Top and talks to performers and learns more about the magic that brings the show to life. See video below.
4 key tenants from Mexican heritage form the inspiration for Luzia. As noted by Cirque du Soleil they include:
- Nature as metaphor (monarch butterfly)
- A nod to modernity (300 mirrors on the swimmer’s outfits are inspired by Mexico’s modern, avant-garde architecture)
- Ode to surrealism (from Aztec mythology)
- Living embodiments of mythology (look for a stunning jaguar puppet)
From the Stark Insider review of Luzia (4 out of 5 stars):
Bringing it all together – lighting, set design, choreography, music, falling water, carefully rehearsed jumps and falls – the effort is gargantuan. What motivates this remarkable company with performances all over the world is “the profound influence of live theatre on the audience.”
But the best thing to do is take a look at the show itself.
Watch the video below to learn more Luzia by Cirque du Soleil.
WATCH: Behind-the-Scenes at LUZIA by Cirque du Soleil