This week, I warmed up and lightened the colors of the fountain so that it would not look so foreboding.
If you recall, last week, because of the darkness of the fountain relative to the other elements of the painting, Clint noted it looked like the fountain would swing open and the Batmobile would drive out. Since this painting is of photo I took while in Rome, such an incident which could only happen in Gotham would not be appropriate.
I think I’ve addressed the issue this week by doing two things.
Firstly, I used Burnt Umber and Dioxazine Purple as my base colors instead of the cooler tones created by the combination of Burnt Umber and blue. This did require me to then adjust the base with a little bit of Yellow Ochre. I used this base and layered it onto various parts of the fountain to give it greater depth. Secondly, I used a bit more white and a touch of Yellow Ochre in my lightest shade of this base color and put in some highlights in key parts of the fountain. I think I was able to achieve the goal I had set out.
I also started to add more dimension to the dining tables and continued to shade the underside of the large umbrella. Next week I will complete this and start making a third pass of the painting starting once more from the top.
Once I am done this, I will be able to add the pots of plants and flowers in the foreground.
The painting is coming along. However, every time I think I am making some progress, I pass the art galleries in San Francisco as I am off to another theater event and realize…I have a long way to go. At least, I optimistically say to myself, I can discern this fact.