Did you know that over 620,000 soldiers died in the Civil War? Or that in 2000, Congress established a National Moment of Remembrance, which asks Americans to pause for one minute at 3 p.m. in an act of national unity. The time was chosen because 3 p.m. “is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday.” I learned this and more when I Googled a bit to try to gain some perspective on the holiday. And, again, it reminded me of how little I know.
Yesterday we we spent some time in the city (San Francisco) enjoying North Beach. Under cloudy skys, we walked up and down the hilly streets; down Columbus, across Geary to the A.C.T. (American Conservatory Theater) to see Boleros for the Disenchanted. Along the way we managed to sample all manner of truffles, pastries, and espressos. How can you not stop in to as many shops as possible in North Beach? Loni suggested we one day have a small flat there so we can enjoy dinner and a show, and spend the night without having to trek back down 101 south until the next day. Sound good, add it the list of cities: New York, Vancouver, Chicago, London, Paris, Shanghai. All incredible places to see and do.
Recipes from Loni’s California Kitchen
Film & Stage
- Film review: ‘The Last Lullaby’ delivers — Director Jeffrey Goodman one to watch
- Screening of ‘The Last Lullaby’ and chat with director Jeffrey Goodman
Loreto, Baja California Sur
- Farmer’s market, McLulu’s and Loreto Bay on a Slow Sunday by Al Graichen
- Weekend in Loreto: Greyhounds and hummingbirds await a caravan by Al Graichen
- First golf club opens in La Paz, Baja California Sur
- In Loreto Bay: Driving to Loreto from Cabo via SFO by Al Graichen
- Update on our Mexico house by Bob Kopolow
- Loreto Bay Property Management Newsletter – May 2009 and Home Owner Weekend Schedule
- A Great Loreto Day Without Kayaking by Jane Lurie
- Celebri! Italian food in Loreto at Restaurante Il Campanile by Chris Wright
- Aviso de Terminacion de Obra: What is it and when do you need one?
- 2007 Firestone Riesling, Central Coast, California (88 pts, $6.99)
- Peju Province Winery pick-up party June 7th in Napa by Chris Wright
- Wine trivia: Big steel things that hold wine
- Domaine Ott, Les Domaniers Rose wine review and food pairing by Tony Killeen
- Trader Joe’s bumps Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling (89 pts.) price by 17%
News and Editorial
- Yellow Pages: Who still flips through the paper version?
- Credit Karma: Second impressions warrant a thumbs up
- SunPower now offers iPhone app to monitor your home’s energy information
- Elephants kissing and Warren Buffet
- StarkSilverCreek now available on Kindle